Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Graduation Ceremony

About three weeks ago, I included an entry about a Toastmasters program I am putting on for 16 year old girls. The program has been a lot of fun and there has been a lot of visible growth among the participants. Still, I can help but feel something is not right.

The students are participating in this as just one part of a school program that is being offered to them. As a result, not each of the students is at the program every session. It seems to me that these individuals, as a result, are not getting everything out of the program that they could be, or should be.

Now I have found out about another change. In a couple of weeks, we will be holding our last session. What is usually done is to invite parents and other dignitaries, provide each participant with an opportunity to speak, and other roles and then have a “graduation” type ceremony. The person in the school system I am working with is focused on the reception. As a result, instead of each person having an opportunity to perform multiple roles, we will only have about half an hour for the actual meeting portion. Normally, based on the number of participants, we should be given about three hours.

The last session will be condensed into one-sixth of what we should be given. As a result, not only will each participant not be able to perform multiple roles, some will not be able to perform any roles. I think this is unfortunate.

To me, this just points out some of the frustrations I tolerate when it comes to teaching. There is the issue of students not showing up, some people not taking things to seriously and some teachers not willing to put in the necessary time to do the job effectively. I had hoped I would be getting away from this over the summer but it has now come back to me, albeit in a slightly different setting.