Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years Resolutions

“Another year over and a new one just begun…!” Happy New Year to one and all. I hope that 2007 was good to you and that 2008 will be even better. For me, 2007 saw the formation of this blog and I am very appreciative of everyone that has come by. I appreciate anyone who has read my posts (be it one or all) and I am appreciative of those of you who have commented. It truly makes my day.

So what does the New Year hold? I don’t know, but like many others, I have my New Year’s Resolutions. In terms of this blog, I will try to update my post more regularly when things are busy. I will try to keep my posts interesting, informative and entertaining. I will try and not be redundant (or repetitive) in my posts.

As for teaching, a year ago at this time I made the following resolution and I think it is time to repeat it. My New Year’s resolution last year at this time was not to be so nice to my students. A number of people laughed and thought I was kidding. But, in large part, I was serious.

You see, I am a softy. I admit it. I like to see students do well and I am a sucker for a sob story. I know when students are taking advantage of me and I get frustrated, but I still remember when I was a college student and I give them the benefit of a doubt. The problem is, I do it too often, too frequently. It is who I am. I get frustrated with my students for pulling some of the garbage they pull and I get frustrated with myself for letting some of it slide.

Last year at this time, I definitely toughened up. The problem was over the summer months, without realizing it, I softened up. I think it is easier to get tougher in the second semester because there are just a few weeks of vacation. Over the summer, there are a few months and it is easier to forget the things that got you so frustrated and that you vowed to put an end to. So this year, I am hoping that I will become tougher not only in the Spring Semester, but in the Fall Semester as well.

So, once again, my New Year’s Resolution is to become meaner to my students!