Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Two Or Three?

It seems like four months ago I was in the same position. Well, if it wasn’t the same, it was similar. I had three courses I was offered to teach and I was carefully watching enrollment numbers to see if all would go. Two of the three went no problem, but the third barely squeaked by. Once some other classes were cancelled, mine picked up some additional students, but it was touch and go for a while.

Once again, this coming semester, I will be teaching three classes, pending enrollment. Two of the classes have enough students to go. The third class has only six people registered so far, and I would not be surprised if it is cancelled.

The thing is, I am not sure what I want. On the one hand, the third classes means extra money coming in, extra money that is very helpful. Still, I learned this semester just how exhausting it is to teach three classes. Three classes keeps me away from my day job more than I want, or should be as well.

I have decided to just roll with the punches. I will not do anything to try and make the third class go, nor will I do anything to try and get it cancelled. If it goes, I will teach it. If it doesn’t, I will have more time in the office. Either way, my plan is just to accept it and roll with the punches. As the saying goes, “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.”