Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Audio Books

I will probably regret this later but right now I am enjoying the fact that I do not start classes until next week. A lot of my colleagues and friends who teach at other institutions have already started. This week seems to be the week for many people. Not for me.

I will probably regret it later when they finish teaching before I do, but for right now, I am enjoying the time off. As a political junkie, I have time to follow the primaries and see how well the different candidates are doing. As a reader, I have time to enjoy some books without having to worry about ‘making better use of my time’. I am enjoying it.

I think I will resume my audio book ‘reading’ this coming semester as well. Having to make a 45 minute to one hour drive, two ways, three times a week, should give me plenty of time to listen. So, I will check out what is available in the library.

One of the nice things about books on tape (or CD, or whatever) is having the ability to work them into my class. One semester I was listening to Dracula on my drive into campus and I used it for part of one of my lectures. I did that with Dan Brown books as well. In fact, I have used some things from his books for the past number of semesters. Like everything else, it is getting old and many of the students are no longer familiar with The DaVinci Code, so it is time to find some new references and new materials.

Might as well kill two birds (or even three) with one stone. Listen to the book to make the ride more enjoyable, listen to the book because I want to read it, and get some additional teaching material. Hopefully that is how it will work out.