Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ethics

Mitt Romney and John McCain are going at it. Rudy Guilliani is hoping for an upset victory in Florida. Barack Obama won the South Carolina primary and regained the momentum but Hillary Clinton is still considered the frontrunner, and John Edwards is fading fast.

I love politics, I truly do. I find all of this exciting, interesting and fun to watch. And, come primary day here, I will vote, just like I will in the general election. I do that regardless of the race. I vote in local city council and school board elections all the way up to the presidential election. It is my civic duty, a right, and an obligation. I truly feel that way.

I found it interesting then, when one of my students urged people not to vote in the upcoming election. I try to allow my students at every class session to respond to one of a few topics I pick out (it helps make it easier when they have to speak in front of the class). One issue I mentioned was the presidential primary and upcoming general election. And, as indicated, one of my students picked that topic and said we should not vote since it is just a figure head and it really does not matter who wins.

It was an interesting perspective and the first time I heard someone urge people not to vote. I even commented that this would be an interesting persuasive speech. This coming week I am going to be talking about the ethics of public speaking. I plan on using this as an example. Is it ethical to urge people not to vote, to ignore their civic duty? I have a few other examples I plan to use to discuss ethics but I think, since this was a topic already brought up by one of the students, it would make for an interesting discussion.