Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

19?!?!!!

The other day I commented about how, in a class of 12 students, six of them were exchange students. Well, the overall numbers in that class are growing and I am honestly surprised. The end of last week there were a total of 12 students registered. By the end of the weekend, 12 became 14.

I checked again today, the first day of the semester, and I see that I now have 19 students. For a Thursday evening class, there are 19 students, and 22 is a full class. Public speaking classes are capped at 22. The fact that a class which meets one day a week, for three hours, has 19 students amazes me. The fact that the class meets in the evening and it still has 19 students surprises me even more.

I do enjoy teaching and I do enjoy students but I was figuring on about 10 to 12 students in this class. I think I still have the time to do things the way I wanted, the way I had planned. Still, honestly I did not want to have to critique so many student speeches. I was banking on the fact that the class would go, but would have relatively few students.

Yesterday we celebrated the life of a great American, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. To steal a phrase from him, but used in a very different context and certainly being nowhere near as elegant, I guess the check has come back marked, “Insufficient funds”.