Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

It Starts All Over

The new semester starts tomorrow, 1/21/08. I do, actually get a laugh out of this as the first day of the new semester is a Federal Holiday and, as a result, a day when school is closed. Still, it is time to get back into the routine.

I am making a copy of my syllabus and will be marking it up to go over it with the students on the first day of class. Unlike previous semesters, I plan to forgo the PowerPoint presentation and just actually go over it with them. I think that in past semesters, sometimes the PowerPoint has actually taken away from the message I want to get across about what is important. I will try it without one this semester and see how it goes.

The next thing I need to do is print out copies of the ‘survey’ I give my students on the first day of class. I like to find out what they like, how to reach them and with what television shows, movies and sporting events they are familiar. I like to use snippets of movies and TV programs during my class and issuing the surveys helps let me know how much I need to set up these clips.

So, the first day for me is an exciting day. I know students like to find out a little about their teachers. I also like to find out a little about my students and see what overall personality I think the class has.

Tomorrow I will finish getting things ready for the first class but more importantly, I will take it easy and get some rest so I am good to go on the first day of class.

To all others teaching a class or classes this semester, I wish you good luck and remind you to have fun; words I plan on and hope to remember throughout this semester.