Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

There's No Reply At All

I think the saga with the student who never handed in two of his assignments has come to an end. Despite receiving an e-mail with an accusatory tone, I decided to respond to his e-mail. I explained mainly what I said in a previous post here.

I had hoped that maybe the student would actually take the time to acknowledge he was wrong. I really was not expecting it and I’m not even sure why I was hoping for it. Perhaps it is the educator in me, always seeking to teach students. Perhaps I felt an acknowledgement on his part would show he actually learned something in my class, something well beyond the scope of Public Speaking.

Still, the bottom line is, he finished with a ‘C’ because he did not hand in two of his assignments. That is not going to change so maybe he felt the best thing to do was not respond. I do hope, however, that he honestly understood the point I was making.

Perhaps what is even more telling is, as I tell this story to colleagues, they are not surprised. Some of them are even able to finish my sentences before I do, since they have had similar experiences. I truly want to give students the benefit of the doubt and many, most of my students deserve that. I know that because even when I don’t ask for proof of a claim they made, many still give it to me. It is unfortunate that, as is the case in so many things, a few rotten apples can spoil the bunch for everyone.