Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Touch Of Class

I recently applied for a position I saw advertised on the website for the college where I teach. It was actually a position I had applied for about a year ago. I know that a year ago, I was a finalist for the position and it is my belief I was actually the number two choice of the administration. I figured with another person in this office having left, I could apply and argue that now that office could have both me and the person they previously hired.

I got a call from the person who runs this office earlier in the week. Since one of the classes I teach is actually under the umbrella of this office, I know the head of it fairly well. He called to let me know that while the process was still ongoing, I was not up for this position. He explained that the committee was looking with someone with more computer experience and a few of the resumes just really stood out.

Personally, I think my computer knowledge is more in line with what they are looking for than the committee realizes. Still, I was grateful to receive this call. I have stated previously when I applied for fulltime positions at the college that I have felt even if the committee did not want me, they at least owed me an interview since I have always done what they have asked. I am convinced this is why the head of the office called me, to make sure I was not annoyed about being overlooked (or ignored) when it came to the interview process.

The truth is, I actually thought this showed quite a bit of class. I do not have any ill will towards this department. Perhaps if I had not been brought in by this office for the previous job for which I applied I would feel differently, but they did bring me in. Certainly the director has done everything he could do, in both cases, to show me he feels I am a valued member of the team and I appreciate it.