Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, June 6, 2008

A Better Grade

I am still getting comments from various students who are protesting grades. The latest student to complain argued that I let my personal biases interfere with his grade. He gave a speech about hunting. He claimed that, among other things, hunting helps keep the deer population down so there are fewer accidents where cars hit deer. That in turn, he argued, helps drivers avoid paying thousands of dollars to have their car fixed after such an accident.

The student got a decent grade on the speech but I felt he needed to do more. He accused me of being opposed to using Riflescopes and hunting in general. I never told the students where I stand on the issue, so I am not sure what he was basing it on. I guess it is easier to make that claim that admit my critique was accurate and that he really needed to do more in the speech.