Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Token Mute

I was at a Toastmasters meeting yesterday. In case you do not know, Toastmasters is an organization designed to help people become better speakers. Each speaker is evaluated by a fellow member during the meeting.

Often times there are guests at the meeting too. The end of the meeting is set aside for guest comments. I was talking with one of the guests during a break and she said she was the “Token Mute”. I thought this was a cute comment but obviously indicated how uncomfortable she is speaking in public.

The comment had me thinking back to my classes and how many students coming in feel that way, they want to be the “Token Mute”. Hopefully by the end of the semester most no longer feel that way.