Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Feedback From All

Of the three classes I am teaching, I recently had one of them complete the course evaluations. I actually think I may have experienced a first this year. All my students were there. I truly like it if I can get feedback from all my students, as I do believe each as a valued member of the entire group. Still, it seems as we get to this point in the semester, it is difficult having all students there, so it was rewarding.

The truth is, that I actually did not have ALL my students there but as far as I am concerned, I did. There are 15 students in this class. One of the students added the class after the first two sessions. The class only meets once a week and I was not thrilled that this occurred but I actually had no say in the matter.

She was at the third session and needed to leave early. She showed up for the forth session as well and delivered her icebreaker, the first speech all the students deliver (and one of the few that is non-graded). After she gave the speech, again she told me she needed to leave early. That was the last time I saw her.

The student has been to two classes, and neither one of those did she stay for the full session. I am guessing she has written off this class (I hope she has) and is anticipating an ‘F’ (which is what she will be getting). Even if she had been to the class, she is in no position to evaluate me. I like student input, I make changes based on their feedback but, if you are not there, how can you provide me with accurate feedback?

As a result, I consider it to be a full class that evaluated me since she has stopped coming and, in addition, I really do not want, or value, the one missing member’s input.