Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Speeches, Speeches, Speeches

I enjoy teaching but there are days when it is exhausting. In my morning class today, I sat through eight speeches and then there were another nine given in my evening class. Just sitting through that many can be exhausting. There were three other student who were supposed to speak last week but were not there at that time, who were in class today. I decided not to let them make up the speeches today. 12 speeches in one class, and 20 speeches over the course of a day is too many. In addition, there are another seven people who are supposed to speak in my morning class tomorrow.

Not only is it exhausting sitting through that many speeches in a short period of time, it is exhausting when I have to grade them as well. Certainly it will keep me busy and it is another reason I do not like when student miss speaking dates. When they make them up it takes its toll on me in terms of critiquing and grading them.

Still, while it may sound like I am complaining, I do enjoy listening to student speeches, it just can get to be tiring. I guess one of the key differences between me and the students (on the whole) is, I know I will meet my deadline and have things back to them when I told them. I wish they met my deadlines as well.