Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Calling From The Office

As the semester winds down, I am still debating whether or not it was smart to take a Thursday evening class. Due to my schedule and the distance I travel, I end up staying on campus all day on Thursdays. I leave home around 9:30AM and stay on campus from about 10:30AM to 9:00PM.

I do have some time in between classes to do “office work” for my day job and that is good. Still a laptop computer would help and so would voip architecture. Sometimes for my day job I need to conduct telephone interviews with customers who use certain products and services and find out what they like about these products and what they do not like. This often means that I need to use my cell phone to make the calls. I could use the campus phone but I honestly do not feel comfortable making long distance calls for personal benefit, or for work related benefit if it has nothing to do with my teaching job. Of course, using the cell phone is not much of an advantage either as I am using up my minutes, or if they have all been used up, paying for the calls. If I owned the business, maybe I could justify it but this is my personal cell phone for company benefit.

My understanding of voiceover technology is it allows people to make calls through the internet and as long as you have an internet account, you do not have to pay for the phone call. I think my boss should pick up the expense but I can definitely see how this would be beneficial. I do know some people who use this and they say it truly makes things easier. I have heard that the quality of the call is not as good as a regular phone and that is a concern but from those I have talked with, while occasionally you may get a scratchy call, it is seldom and you can get poor quality calls from a standard phone as well. It truly is amazing what technology has done and how it can help you work from home when you are not at home.