Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Advances In Technology

Sometimes things do not work out exactly as you had planned. This semester, I am teaching a Thursday class during the day that ends a little after 12 noon and another one during the evening that runs from 6-9. Since I travel over 40 miles each way, I decided I would stay on campus on Thursdays. My plan was to do work for my ‘Day job’ and to be able to tap into the office computer from school.

I ran into a problem. The school computers have filters placed on them so I could not add software to do this. It pointed out the need to have a laptop even if I have a campus computer available to me. What amazes me is how small the computers have become and how well developed they are. For instance, the motorola mc70 handheld computer is about the size of a cell phone. Certainly I have watched technology in all different areas improve but it still baffles me.

I think if I end up doing a schedule like this again, I will examine these types of computers closely and get myself some kind of machine that I can carry around with me.