Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Bush, Bailout And How I Would Grade Him If He Were In My Class

I find the entire issue with bailouts to be quite scary. I feel this way on a number of fronts. First off, the actual situation that is occurring is frightening. I do wonder, however, if people are looking to make this scarier than it needs to be.

I also question the time of this. It is amazing how skeptical and cynical we (at least I) have become. Bush has been president for eight year. The situation is announced as an election is taking place and Bush is getting set to leave office. Did he previously withhold information? Did he do certain things to prevent knowledge and damaging affects during his presidency and not care about dooming the next president? I think one must really consider these types of questions.

I find it scary that Bush is asking Congress to act quickly and the American Public to help without telling anyone his plan. Before we can decide if the plan is worthy, we must know what it is. I find it scary that McCain wants to use this as an excuse not to campaign. Yes, he and Obama have an obligation to cast votes on this plan but this is exactly the type of situation the voters should hear candidates talk about. Let’s know the difference between the two and how they would handle the situation.

If some of my students did something like this, I would be all over them. Asking for support in a speech before telling us the plan, carefully revealing information so one can question the ethical behavior of the speaker, suggesting it is more important to act than understand the situation, these are all points I would make and places where students would lose points.

Hopefully Bush can redeem himself and still pass the standards I would set up for my students. Right now, he hasn’t!