Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Teaching 16 Year Olds

I am currently involved with a program through Toastmasters (a professional organization that helps people become better communicators and better leaders, in case you do not know). A group of us are working with a number of 16 year olds and teaching them how to speak in public. This is interesting on a number of different fronts.

First off, the program is a learning experience for me. Such a program gives me an opportunity to try new things and see what works. It certainly will help me when I begin teaching next semester as I can experiment with certain ideas I currently have.

Being involved with the program also gives me a greater appreciation for what I already have. While I am enjoying this program and the students are taking it seriously, there is certainly a difference when it comes to learning and speaking between a 16 years old and a college student.

In addition, I need to complete this program in order to reach my next Toastmasters designation. I certainly want to do that and I am looking forward to it. That is the icing on the cake.

For me, this program is win-win and will hopefully make me a better teacher. I have often told my students I like evaluating but hate grading. I grade because I have to but I would much rather work with the students one-on-one to help them be better speakers. This is what I get to do right now.