Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Educational Conferences



Not that long ago, I read an article on another blog about an upcoming educational convention. The individual who wrote the blog was a lesbian and was discussing concerns that existed over the issue of recognizing Gay marriages. The post discussed how a person could be involved in a gay marriage if his/her home state allowed it yet if something happened to one of those people while in a different state, a state that does not recognize such unions, you run into a whole issue having to do with benefits. As a result, there were those who were protesting where the convention was taking place and refused to go. Although the issue does not directly effect me, I found the discussion interesting.

Now I see that there is a travel agency that specifically caters to the Gay and Lesbian market, that offers a Gay and Lesbian Destination Planner. Certainly we seem to be a long way from the “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” philosophy,as you can find Gay Travel Deals .

While there may be Gay Friendly Travel available for those who want it, what amazes me is still, just how divisive such an issue can be. When people don’t want to attend educational opportunities because they feel they are not getting a fair shake, when educational programs are not always designed to try and accommodate individuals who do not fit the “norm” of society, then how far have we actually come?