Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Posting Information On-Line

When I first started teaching as an adjunct I had asked if there was a way I could post my syllabus on-line. It may not help but at least, should students use the fact that they lost the syllabus as an excuse for not completing assignments, I can remind them that on the first day of class I told them there was a copy of the syllabus on the website.

While I do not have access, per se, to create my own home page, I do have access to a part of the college’s site, to post information about the class. It actually is not a homepage for teachers, but it is a way of posting. I take advantage of this and it seems to have helped.

I know some institutions actually set you up with a home page. It would be nice to do some checking with web hosting and set myself up with my own page. While it can be done relatively inexpensively, my personal feeling is, based on the limited money that an adjunct is paid and based on how much money colleges and universities save by hiring us, I am not looking at spending my own money to set this up. Still, it is tempting and there are advantages to hosting your own site.