Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, March 17, 2008

An 'A' Speech

I always tell my students that when it comes to finding a topic for a speech, anytime they are giving us free advice or helping us same money, they should know they have an acceptable topic. By acceptable, I mean that the topic itself can get a student an ‘A’ on the speech if the speech is well put together and well delivered.

Recently, I thought one of my students did an excellent job coming up with a topic. She works for a collection agency which deals with people who have defaulted on their student loans. Her point was, you need to make sure you know the terms of the agreement. So, for instance, if you are looking for New York student loans, compare the deals and read the small print.

She had good information and delivered it well and she had an important topic with useful information to college students. She got an ‘A’.