Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Getting Ready For The Song And Dance Routine

A couple of days ago I mentioned that I sent an e-mail to the students who missed class right before the break to remind them about the upcoming speeches. In total, I e-mailed nine students. Four of those students were told they had to speak the first class session we got back. Those four students are all from my Thursday evening class. The fifth student in that class (the one who let me know ahead of time due to doctor’s instructions that she would not be in class) was given a choice as to which of the two Thursdays she wanted.

As for my Friday class, two students were absent. Based on the number of people in that class and the number who signed up for each of the two days set aside for speeches, they can speak on either of the two Fridays set aside for speeches.

Then there is my Tuesday/Thursday class. Although that class will not be starting speeches the very session we get back, they will begin shortly thereafter. I have one opening for the first day and one for the last day of speeches. I sent the two individuals and e-mail letting them know this and indicating it was on a first come-first serve basis.

It has been five days now since I’ve sent out the e-mail. I have been checking the e-mail account everyday. I am getting a lot of spam about penis enlargement and breast enhancements (it is amazing how much spam gets through all the filters—as many as 30 e-mails in one day, but that’s a post for another time). Would you care to guess how many of the nine students have responded to my e-mail?

I am sure you guessed correctly. None, zero, not one has responded. Now if the students e-mailed me five days ago and I did not respond, I assure you I would be hearing it from the students. I understand this is vacation. Still, especially if they missed the last class session you would think they would be checking e-mail or, dare I say, actually talking the initiative to get in touch with me to find out what they missed.

Oh well, I know I am in for sob stories and the song and dance routine starting Monday when regular classes resume and maybe, just maybe, students will start checking their college e-mail accounts once again.