Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Couples In My Class

This semester, between my three classes, I have three sets of boyfriends/girlfriends taking the class together. I actually had guessed after the first class session that two of the three couples were in fact couples. The third set I did not know until one of the students wrote something as a journal entry (one of the things the students are required to do).

I have nothing against couples taking my classes together. That may sound a little strange but I do know professors who do not like that. As far as I am concerned, as long as they are able to concentrate and do the work, I am fine with it.

Concentrating may, however, be easier said then done. For example, my wife, who hates public speaking, will not practice a speech in front of me. It does not matter that I teach this and have a background in it. It does not matter that when I provide feedback I always try to take the speaker’s feelings into consideration. If she knows I am in the audience, it makes her nervous.

There are, not surprisingly, speakers who prefer having friends and a significant other in the audience. The thinking is the speaker has some friendly faces to look at and that helps. The truth is when we look at potential significant others, we are looking for people who have the same interests and fears we have.

So the next time you are in a college class, the next time you are regretting having to give a public presentation, stop and think of all the potential mates that could be there for you. If you have a hectic schedule , there are still many ways you could end up meeting the person who is right for you.

And, for those of you who want to avoid finding Mr. Or Miss right in a public speaking class, you can look to make a romantic connection with the leading internet matchmaking service