Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Another Session Still To Go

Well, the holidays are over (minus New Years) and I hope everyone had an enjoyable one. For many college teachers, this time of year is spent getting things ready for the next semester, and I am doing that too. Still, most teachers are done for the Fall semester. I, however, am not.

Two of my three classes are over, and grades have been turned in. The third class, however, is the one made up of high school seniors. This class usually starts a couple of weeks later and, as a result, it ends a couple of weeks later. Whenever I have taught it in the fall, it goes into January.

This year, however, it is really strange. We had class on Thursday, 12/20. Then we broke for the holidays (which is where we are at right now). On January 3, we will return. We will just have class on the third and that will be it for the semester.

It seems to me that it is silly to return after the holidays just for one class. If this is the schedule the college has, I will adhere to it. And, in truth it will be helpful and some students were not able to give their final speech before break, so we can at least get these done. Still, it just seems strange.

Well, I just need to be sure that I do set some time aside during the semester break to update my syllabus and address issues that occurred this semester that bothered me. Still, that is a post for another time.

Again, Happy Holidays to you all and a Happy New Year. Thank you to all who have read my entries and thank you to those who have commented and provided feedback.

Wishing you all the best!