Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

I Hate Cell Phones-Part 2

In a previous post, I discussed the annoyance of cell phones when trying to teach a college class (click here to see that post). The question then is , how do we as instructors deal with it?

Certainly I do not have all the answers, or perhaps, I do not have any of the answers. I do not know if this will work, but I have added a section to my course syllabus entitled CELL PHONE ETIQUETTE. In that section, I state the following:

I should not even have to address this but it is becoming more and more of a problem and needs to be addressed. Cell phone use in class is NOT ACCEPTABLE. This includes, but is not limited to, using your phone for making or receiving phone calls, text messaging, playing games, doing research, or connecting to the internet. In short, you should not use your cell phone at all during class.

For every instance when you use your cell phone, I will deduct one point off your final average. So, if you are texting a friend, EACH time you send a message, or receive one, a point will be deducted. If your phone rings in class, for each ring one point will be deducted from your average. These occurrences will be upped to three points on days when speeches are being given.

Your cell phone should always be on vibrate during class session and is to be used only in the case of a true emergency. If your phone vibrates and you suspect there is an emergency, please quickly get up and quietly go out into the hall and take the call. Be prepared to talk with me after class and let me know about the emergency.

If I feel it is a legitimate emergency, I will not deduct the points. If it is not an emergency in my eyes, however, than the points will be deducted. Therefore, you want to let people know that they should only call you in case of an emergency during class.


Since this will be the first semester I am trying it, I have no idea if it will help. I certainly hope it does, and I will let you know.