Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, November 21, 2008

How Old Are You Anyway?

I was in class yesterday and my students were teasing me about my old age. Right on cue, I needed to read something and had to take my eyeglasses off to be able to read it—and I wear bifocals. Wow, did the students really let me have it then, teasing me about my age. It was all in good fun but I did relate to what they were saying. For years, I never would have needed to take off glasses to read something up close.

Even though I wear bifocals, I find they do not help me with reading. As a result, while the doctor says I should use them, I do not want to spend a lot of money for the different things I now need in glasses. The truth is, I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money anyway but now, if I am getting things I should have but don’t se them that much, I am looking to cut down on the cost.

I recently learned of Optical4less. You can get antireflective coating for free. You can find eyeglasses for under 15 dollars. They even have a virtual try-on system. It is nice to know there are ways to save money and find what you need when looking for eyeglasses.