Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Acting Ethically

I am currently discussing persuasive speaking with one of my classes. I let them know that within persuasive speaking, the emotional appeal is very powerful. After all, many of us do things when others try to make us feel guilty. I also explain, however, that it is important to do this in an ethical manner, otherwise you may get what you want in the short run but pay the price in the long run.

A new website, Report Phone Numbers, is trying to help. I know I get calls from companies and they do not take “no” for an answer. You end up having to hang-up on them. Report Phone Numbers allows people to post reactions to certain phone numbers on line so you can see how companies act and if people are acting ethically.