Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning Something New

I enjoy learning new information and learning how to do things. Perhaps this is why I enjoy the demonstration speeches more than any other given by my students. As indicated in a previous entry, it is important to follow proper public speaking procedures and it is important to create a strong introduction.

Another aspect that is important to a good demonstration speech is, you need to be demonstrating something that the majority of people cannot do, or haven’t learned how to do. After all, a demonstration speech is supposed to teach us something new. I tell my students (and I have included this in previous bog posts), a demonstration speech about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is not a strong speech since most of us know how to do it (and those of us who don’t can probably figure it out without any help).

On the other hand, last semester I had a student who gave a demonstration speech about how to create a website. While it might have been difficult to get all the information in during the allowed time, I give this student a lot of credit for trying to do it. I also learned a very important lesson—if I am going to develop a website or having website hosting, I think I will leave it in the hands of the professionals. Sites like WebHostingRating.Com has all sorts of awards and articles and you can see the ratings of the top sites. Yes, if I need to develop a website, even though I have learned some of the essentials from my student, I’m leaving it in the hands of the professionals.