Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Halloween Costumes

In one of my classes, we are moving into demonstration speeches. It is always interesting when these speeches occur close to Halloween. I always get some speeches about carving Jack-O-Lanterns or how to properly engage in other customs and rituals affiliated with this day. It is also interesting to see what new information I learn about Halloween. Last year I learned the myth about Jack outsmarting the Devil and how we ended up with a Jack-O-Lantern.

This year, I wonder if I will learn about how costumes originated and became part of the festivities. Certainly that is a major part of Halloween. And nowadays, the holiday, costumes and all, is not just for kids. How many adults plan to dress up? I often get some who come in costume to class. I have even been known to come to class wearing Halloween Costumes.

So what costume fits your personality? An angel or a devil perhaps? A superhero or a supervillian? I have worn them all before but perhaps the most interesting costume I ever wore was when I dressed up as a gorilla. Maybe, just maybe, when my students come into class this Halloween, they will be taught by a gorilla. After all, while gorillas can be dangerous, from all I have read, they tend to be gentle. That is the way I like to think of myself; gentle but capable of being someone to watch out for.