Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Where Are My Notes

I think all the classes are beginning to catch up with me. Over the weekend, I critiqued 11 icebreaker speeches (a speech of introduction), typically the first speech given by students. It is a non-graded speech, but I always look to provide a lot of feedback here so the students know how I grade, and what I am looking for. I also critiqued five informative speeches and a make up speech that one of my students missed.

This past Monday we continued with informative speeches in one of my classes, but only four people spoke. I figured I would be in good shape to critique those this evening. After all, with 17 speeches down, four in one night would seem like a cakewalk. Now for the problem.

As I got set to beginning typing my critiques, I noticed I did not have the folder that had my notes in it for the informative speeches I need to critique and grade. I first thought I would leave those at home, so I would have them when I was ready to type. I made a conscious decision however, to take them with me to school today since I have an hour of free time between my two classes. Unfortunately, that hour was used taking care of some things for my “day job” and I never got to the critiques. Now, I am not sure where I left the folder.

It could be at the campus center where I was teaching today. That is about an hour away from my house and 20 minutes away from the main campus, where I teach tomorrow. It could be in the office where I work, which is only about ten minutes from the house. The problem there is, I do not know if I will get a chance to get over there tomorrow before I have to go to teach. If I don’t I need to decide if I ride the extra 20 minutes to the campus center to see if I left it there (and if I did not, it would just be a waste of time and gas) or do I make the 45 minute drive back to the office after class only to possibly have to turn right back around and drive another hour to the campus center (and an hour back).

Of course there is the possibility that it is in my car or in the house. I have checked both places and have not found it. Just because, however, I have not found it does not mean it is not there.

In other words, the absent minded professor lives.