Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Absent Minded Professor

Sometimes I think I know myself too well. Mind you, not that this is always helpful, but it is a fact. As I mentioned in my last post, I was looking with a folder that had some notes. I had four speeches to critique and I had planned to do the work on Tuesday. Normally I would do it even earlier, but I was busy critiquing other speeches.

Well, on Tuesday, I could not find the folder. I thought maybe I left it at the campus center where I teach on Tuesdays. My motives for bringing it there were pure. I had hoped to get to critique a speech or two between my two classes, as I have an hour of down time. I did not get to it and thought that I might have left the folder with the notes there. I also thought I might have left it in my office.

In the previous post, however, I said it was possible I even had it in the car. I had checked that night and did not see it, but who knows, maybe I overlooked it. As it turns out, the following day my son was giving me a hard time about getting ready for school. I had to carry him out of the house and put him in the car (that used to be easier). As I put him in the car, I looked down and guess what I found? There, in the back seat, was the folder with the notes. It was too late to type up the critiques, but at least I had my notes and I had my folder.

The thought that entered my mind at that point was, “The absent minded professor lives”. It seems to me a move like this, misplacing a folder and not finding it when you look in the place where you have actually put it, is typical of the absent minded professor. Well, hopefully the absent minded professor will be no more and I will be able to keep track of what I need.