Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Short Speeches

I find it interesting the number of students who try and give a very quick speech and then sit down. The speeches for class should be between 4 ½ and 7 ½ minutes. I have some students that seem to try and speak in as little time as possible. As a result, I implemented a new policy that I had hoped would take care of the problem. I tell students if they miss the time limit by more than two minutes on either end, they are started with a B- and I will go from there.

I hoped this would show students the importance of putting time and effort into planning a speech. It has worked in other semesters but not this one. I’ve had students, this semester, give speeches that were around one and a half minutes. When they get my critique back, you can tell that they are a little disappointed with the grade. After all, a student who begins at a “B-,” and uses vocal pauses and should have a stronger introduction, could find him/herself with a “C” on the assignment and the individual then questions the grade.

Folks, if you are not going to put the time into the speech, the grade will not be so great. If you don’t care enough about the topic to find more material, then the speech will not be very powerful, and neither will the grade.

Hopefully, after reading the current critiques, seeing the grades and realizing that I am serious when I talk about the grades, they will realize I mean what I say.

Up Tomorrow—Attendance- Part two!