Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Embracing Adjuncthood

When I first took a job as an adjunct professor at the college I currently teach at, I had hoped that it would lead to a full-time position. I felt, and still feel, I have a knack to get through to the students. Students seem to enjoy my classes. It is both flattering and scarey the number of students who tell me, after grades have been turned in, that I am the best teacher they have ever had. The very first time I taught I had a few students who uttered such statements. As a result, I figured when a position became available, I would have a decent shot at getting it.

This past year I finally got my chance. A position was opening up where I teach and I was excited. While I was not counting my chickens before they hatched, I certainly felt I have done enough over the years to warrent an interview. The truth is, due to some health issues, I did not persue it on my end as much as I should have. Still, I figured they knew me at this institution, that whatever they have asked me to do, I have done, that I had a real shot at the position.

After sending in my material, I did not hear anything back from them until they announced they had a person to fill this position. I was not granted an interview, or apparently seriously considered for this position. This actually had me feeling a little sad, a little angry and even a little depressed. I have changed my thinking on this, however. While I still would love to get a full-time teaching gig, I decided that it is time to embrace adjuncthood. It is not that adjuncts are not capable but, if there were no adjunct positions, many of us who enjoy teaching would never have the chance. Being an adjunct allows me to teach and do other things I enjoy, outside of the teaching arena.

Yes, it is time to embrace adjuncthood.